Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Facing My Giants

Disclaimer:  This was written yesterday.

So today I overcame my lifelong fear of fitness centers.  I officially became one of THEM.  I even bought workout clothes.  I still can't believe I spent that much money.  I never saw myself as worthy of the gym.  Today, however, I decided to go anyway.  As I gazed upon the 24 Hour Fitness building, I shook in trepidation.  However, I had already bought the clothes, made the charts, and told the 3 people who read my blog about my plans.  I didn't want to let them down, so I entered the sacred hall of...health.  Dun dun dun.

I acted confident, but I had no idea what in the world I was doing.  God sent me the one employee with glasses to be my guide.  This may sound shallow, but that took 90% of the burden off my shoulders.  50% of the burden returned once we started touring machine central.  I felt every eye upon me, scouting out the "new girl".  I wonder if I looked as ridiculous as I felt.  I mean, I was even wearing a headband.  Anyway, we made it through, and I have officially fallen in love with a treadmill.  After a half an hour jamming to Britt Nicole while losing over 100 calories, I was on cloud nine.  I even felt...ok...which was better than the "bad" I'd been fighting all day.  I left looking forward to tomorrow when I can do it all over again (without the humiliation of a guided tour).

I have to say, I'm kind of nervous though.  With my new membership comes a free session with a personal trainer.  Mine is set up for Wednesday.  And yes, HIS name is William.  A guy?  Really?  Don't they have any FEMALE personal trainers?  Oh well.  Guess that'll be a story for a later date.

Today was really significant for me, though.  I've always kind of had this box that I hid in of all the different things I thought I should believe about myself.  I'm finding there really is a whole 'nother world out there that's "ok" to experience, like fitness centers.  Not sure how I feel about the sauna yet, but I don't think it's time for me to tackle that one.  One step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment