Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Developing A Track Record

One of the things that God has challenged me to do lately is to remember.  A couple months ago, I actually sat down and wrote my life story, about the events and the people that have helped to shape me into who I am.  The biggest thing I noticed was how God molded me through every experience as my idea of following Him was refined.  I kind of see myself as a wild horse that needed to be tamed.

Doing this also showed me some areas in my life that really needed healing.  Writing about the painful experiences helped me to bring them before God and let Him teach me and give me peace.  It also helped me to see how God has been pursuing and calling me every step of the way.

Before I really knew anyone at my church, I was challenged by a sermon and went down to the altar to pray.  One of the pastors came to pray with me, and he said something that seemed so off the wall at the time but has come to make a lot of sense in my life.  He talked about developing a track record with God.  This involves taking note and remembering the times when God has proven to be faithful and therefore we gain confidence in His faithfulness for the future.  Just like any relationship where trust is earned, God calls us to recognize and remember what He has done.

Going back over my life and working through things took some time, and there are still some things that continue to be a matter of prayer.  However, it was time well spent.  Like a MasterCard commercial, you can't put a price on experience, love, and faithfulness.  I encourage you to take a look back over your journey so far.  Your story, no matter how painful it may be, is a gift from God and something that He can use greatly for His purposes in reaching those around you.  Be open to how God has been faithful and be willing to share that faithfulness with others as He provides the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment