Friday, October 26, 2012

Desires

This morning I have been so convicted and challenged by God to pray that He might change my heart. I am praying that He would cause me to care about the things He cares about. During my time in Peru, there have been several moments when it has hit me all of a sudden that God loves the person I am speaking to SO MUCH. Then I wonder what would happen if I could understand in that moment the depth of love that God has for that person. Would I be able to continue talking to them? Or would I be so overwhelmed that I couldn't even stand?

As a missionary, there is a lot of responsibility placed on my shoulders as a representative of the Gospel and a minister of Christ. It would be incredibly easy to be busy 24/7 and never sleep. One of the difficult things to weigh is: how do I defend my boundaries and needs while still taking advantage of every divine opportunity? That is the constant struggle in my life. The only solution I know is to do my best to live in a constant state of prayer.

There are so many times that I am tired but I know that God has led me into a situation where I am called to minister. So I do, and God does amazing things. It is easy for me to use my tiredness or a myriad of other things as excuses to avoid these moments. God has convicted me this morning that I am losing sight of His desires and His heart amidst the details and crazy schedules. Once again, I need to be reminded the depth of God's love for His people and my place in humble service in His Kingdom.

It is an amazing thing to just sit and ponder for a while about what truly pleases God. What does He delight in? I read Jeremiah 9:23-24 this morning and it really touched my heart:

"This is what The Lord says:
'Don't let the wise boast in their wisdom,
or the powerful boast in their power,
or the rich boast in their riches.
But those who wish to boast
should boast in this alone:
that they truly know me and understand that I am The Lord
who demonstrates unfailing love
and who brings justice and righteousness to the earth
and that I delight in these things.
I, The Lord, have spoken!'"

God delights in demonstrating unfailing love, justice, and righteousness. Wow. So how do I become a person who demonstrates unfailing love, justice, and righteousness? That is my prayer for today.

1 comment:

  1. Great verse. I might steal it and put it in my blog too.

    ReplyDelete