Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Rocks Cry Out


I was on the phone with a friend of mine last night and in the course of the conversation we began to read from Luke 19.  We had been talking about worship and the different ways that we were being called into a deeper understanding of what it means to cry out to God and sing praises to Him.  My mind was immediately drawn to Luke 19:37-40 which says:

“When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:
‘Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!’
‘Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!’
Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, ‘Teacher, rebuke your disciples!’
‘I tell you,’ he replied, ‘if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.’”

The thing that stands out to me about this passage is the absolute necessity of God’s creation to worship Him.  How great and mighty is our God that His very existence demands the worship of everything that lives and does not live, breathes and does not breathe.  In Israel, stones are a dime a dozen; they are everywhere!  Jesus said that if His followers were to cease their worship, the common and unimportant rocks would burst forth in adoration, doing what they were created to do:  bring glory to their Creator.  How much more are we called to do the same?

What also struck me is that all of this praise on this hill called the Mount of Olives occurred at the same place that less than a week later would witness the betrayal of Jesus into the hands of His executors.  In Luke 22:39, Scripture says that the Mount of Olives was a “usual” place to which Jesus went to be with His Father; a place of rest and safety.  It was in this place and nowhere else that Jesus sweat drops of blood in agony as He prayed, knowing all that was ahead of Him.  It was there the same disciples who were singing His praises kept falling asleep on the most painful night in prayer that Jesus had ever had.  It was a hill that saw many deep moments of joy as well as sorrow.  However, through every season of emotion and struggle, Jesus understood the concept of living every moment in worship.

What is worship?  It is the attitude of my spirit on its knees before God, every moment and through every circumstance that comes my way.  It may be a wondrous time of praising God with many others, or it may be a time when I find myself all alone, crying out in agony to God about all that is to come.  However, through it all my heart will stay true in submission to His will, whatever that may be.  I may witness betrayal into the hands of my enemies by those I love and have served alongside for years.  My Mount of Olives will see many a joy and many a sorrow.  However, I cannot cease praising Him, or the rocks will cry out in my place, for Creation must bring its Creator glory.  It must worship Him continually.

I want to discover more each day what it means to worship Him with everything in my life, big or small.  I want to bring Him glory as I proclaim His goodness.  I will not give the rocks a reason to shout.  I will glorify His name!

1 comment:

  1. YES!! was reading in 2 Chronicles 20 today and wanted to share verse 20 with you:

    "Have faith in the LORD your God and you will be upheld."

    I really appreciate this verse. 2 Chronicles 20 is about the armies of Moab, Ammon, and Mount Seir threatening and approaching to attack Judah and King Jehoshaphat. In the midst of Judah's fear they cry out to God saying, "We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." (I LOVE THIS!! Heb 12:2 and Col. 3:1-2 say that too). The Spirit of the LORD then came upon Jahaziel and he told everyone, "Do not be afraid because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow and the LORD will be with you." Then they fell down with their faces to the ground, and worshipped God with loud voices. Before they even reached the enemy army they began to sing to God, "Give thanks to the LORD, for his love endures forever." (I love that they started singing of God's goodness before the victory even came about!). It was then that the enemy army was defeated and began to fight each other!! Afterward there was so much plunder for the people of Judah that it took them THREE days to collect all of it! The fourth day they praised the LORD, and the valley where they praised him was named "Beracah" which means 'praise'!!

    "LORD God-your faithful love endures forever; we thank you. We fix our eyes on you, trusting in your great love. We will sing of your victory and declare your goodness even before the victory."

    Let's stand firm in our positions, knowing He is fighting for and with us! We will see his deliverance! The original Hebrew word for deliverance in verse 20:17 is יְשׁוּעָה and means, "help, prosperity, victory, and security." That is what God is and what He gives! Whew! What a mighty God we serve! And yet so loving! I am thankful.

    ReplyDelete