Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Reckless Possibilities


We live in such an interesting world with such interesting ideas of normal.  For instance, it’s normal in the United States to own a car (at least one).  It is normal to drink coffee.  (Personally, I reject the second, but that’s beside the point.)  Furthermore, society’s understanding of normal changes with every generation.  It was not many years ago that going to college after completing high school was abnormal.  Now, it is considered abnormal to not go to college.  It seems across the board that every person has a certain set of expectations they must adhere to that reflects the culture they live in.

There are certain things that are across the board abnormal no matter what culture you live in.  One of these things is the true desire to do great things.  As children, we are encouraged to dream of becoming whatever we want to be, but as adults those who dare to dream big are labeled negatively for it.  Our society can only handle a certain amount of possibility before it calls a dreamer reckless.  There are a few notable people that we admire for pursuing their dreams anyway:  Thomas Edison and Isaac Newton would be two examples.

As kids we are told that anything is possible, but we grow up when we realize it’s not.  It’s considered “maturity” and “rationality” to recognize our limitations, and we settle for half-lives and a diminished potential.  In the church, I grew up with a mixed message.  I read in the Bible that anything is possible with God, but was taught to be over-cautious.  I think it is wise to not jump into every idea that comes our way and it is important to seek God’s will, but so often we analyze something to the point that the God-sent opportunity passes and we are convinced once again of our insignificance.  We hesitate not because we are unsure of God’s will but because we are afraid of the risk, and there is nothing spiritual about that.

I have an adventurous spirit and a desire to do great things.  These two aspects of my personality are dangerous, but that is exactly what God had in mind when He made me.  People often view me as reckless because I see life and the Church as having fantastic possibilities.  Perhaps I am childish, but the Bible says that we must become like little children if we are to know Him and understand the Kingdom.  We hide behind our big words and our PhD’s, but the truth lies in a simple and unhindered trust.  It is for an important reason that Jesus said faith as small as a mustard seed grows the largest tree and moves mountains without a second thought.  We think we understand this concept, but I think we know it in theory only.

We have created in our minds the idea that God is safe.  How incredibly wrong we are!  As much of a dreamer as I think I am, I have discovered that my ideas are a drop in the bucket compared to the creativity and dreams of God.  He is wild and dangerous and reckless.  Until we are willing to let go of our dignity, pride, and reputation, we will be settling for just a taste of His goodness.

I don’t want just a taste.  Jesus described a well that would not run dry.  People have and will always call me crazy because I don’t want to settle for anything less than everything God could have for me.  I’m so much like Peter.  Wash my feet?  No way!  Wash ALL of me!  I don’t want to miss God’s great firework show because I’m standing in a corner staring at a bug.  More than what God could possibly have for my life, I want to be a part of the great plan God has for the world.  I want to be a part of His Kingdom.

I have been fighting my desire for adventure my whole life.  I have been afraid of it.  It is this desire that takes me away from the irrational and causes me to be quite reckless at times.  However, it was just this morning as I was sharing my frustration with God that He showed me an incredible truth.  HE PUT THIS DESIRE IN MY HEART and if I dare to trust Him with all of my irrationality and recklessness, He has promised to lead me on the greatest adventure of life with Him.  I am not broken because of this.  I am not hindered by my supposed insanity, but rather it is through this God-given gift that I will come to know Christ in all His fullness.

God created all of us to be a part of something bigger than ourselves and He has placed desires in our hearts that reflect this calling.  So many times we suppress these desires because they are irrational and reckless.  We have succumbed to society’s understanding of normal and have rejected the truth.  God sets the standard for truth, and He gets excited at the thought of turning impossibilities into possibilities.  Yeah, it’s scary and there’s a great deal of risk involved.  It wouldn’t be called faith otherwise.  Here’s the question:  Do you want to live your entire life with two feet on the ground?  Do you want to look back and say, “Hallelujah!  I was safe!”  Or do you want to live the life that God created you to live...a life of reckless possibilities?  The choice is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment